MFR19 gives space to Space, yet again!
Maker Faire Rome offers again the opportunity to show creative, innovative, funny, interactive, educational projects, made with passion and skills, and focused on the aerospace world and the sciences relevant to the sector.
Any kind of science or technology can be part of this section of MFR19, taking inspiration from the past (the 50th of Apollo program), from the present (the endless applications for and from the aerospace sector) and from the future (the human exploration of Moon and Mars).
It is yet again a unique opportunity in Europe to give light to ideas, technologies and creativity oriented toward a frontier that is in continuous expansion. To participate to Makers for Space means achieving a visibility and contacts not otherwise possible, in particular for the future actors in the New Space Economy.
The exhibition area of Makers for Space
Within Makers for Space we will talk, this year, about Exploring Mars. In past history we never had as we have today all we need to make this vision real. For this reason, the exhibition area of the Makers for Space section will be devoted to past, present and future project related to Mars.
“Being a Maker” describes a positive attitude to solving problems by using available resources. The first settlements on Mars will indeed be built by people with this attitude, those who will be able to exploit the available resources to the best, with ingenuity and creativity.
Mars offers countless resources and in the exhibition area we will reveal the incredible discoveries that are changing the scenarios for the human exploration of the Red Planet.
What are we looking for Makers for Space
- Projects, prototypes, demonstrators of designs intended for the aerospace sectors, from small satellites, to components and technologies for the larger ones, to the elements of ground segments, to the experiments used for the advancement of knowledge.
- Experimental designs born out of academic laboratories, research centers, small and medium enterprises, that capture the creativity and the want to do in the aerospace sector.
- Space handicraft products meaning those creations, tools, materials and technologies that small entities provide to larger projects and to research.
- Science experiments, innovative processes, experimental technologies that have been, or will be, tested in space and that demonstrate the complexity, or even the simplicity, of “doing science in space”.
- Prototypes, patents, research projects, startups, crowdfunded projects, that looks for exposure to the world using the outstanding showcase offered by Makers for Space: the practical side of the New Space Economy.
- Electronics and space: the essential role of electronics, in every single aspect of an aerospace project, cannot be denied. Let’s demonstrate it to the public!
- Software and space: the hidden figure in space missions, one of the most important “enabling technologies” of the sector, the basis for “intelligent automation” of exploration probes, and also for the interpretation of science data.
- Space for humans: from food, to radiations, from hydroponic agriculture to Mars and Moon greenhouses, from space suits to pressurized habitats, all we need to let people live outside Earth.
- Space robotics: from mechanical arms, to the exploration rovers, to the automatic probes, to onboard assistants. What is the role of robotics in space?
- Space medicine to and from space: experiments performed in microgravity conditions, the medical technologies developed for the astronauts, the return of these experiences on Earth and their clinical and experimental application for us all.
- Local resources: find then, extract them, use them. The countless resources available on Mars require different steps to be able to transform them in such a way to use them in settlements: who better than Makers can contribute to this?
- Education and outreach to and from the new frontier. Every single human discipline can be used to educate and explain about the space sector. And the space sector can be used to educate and explain about every discipline. Is there a better growth medium for young minds?
- Arts, interactions and games: art inspired by space, art to inspire about space, art that uses space, art that uses technologies for space, and all that creates an interaction with the user and that involve public also emotionally.
- Open Space and SpaceFabLab: is it possible to create “open-source” projects for space? Not only it is possible, it is also a need and it is fun. Let’s show them! Everybody can make projects for space: doing it in cooperation is better than doing it in competition.
You can participate in the section Makers for Space of Maker Faire Rome even if you don’t have an innovative project but, you have something to show and you’re willing to teach and share your skills and your experience: we’re all makers and everybody want to learn from makers! When we will go to Mars, the most indispensable people will be Makers!
You can participate in several ways
- Projects worth exhibiting: selected applicants will be given a pre-set free booth (table + chairs) inside the exhibiting halls, strategically located so to be visited by the large audience that attend Maker Faire Rome right for the sake of discovering interesting projects.
- Amazingly entertaining presentations: selected applicants will be given a free room (or a stage) to give project presentation/speech, tell a story, engage the audience in the issue they are keen to discuss.
- Super cool workshops: selected applicants will be assigned a workshop area where they could hold interactive sessions and engage participants – adults and / or children – in “hands on” activities.
- Performances: selected applicants will be given a free space (or a stage) for them to perform in creative, technological, robotic, musical, pyrotechnic performance.
>>> To participate to Makers for Space apply to the Call for Makers!
For any questions please write to email@example.com.
More ways to participate
- Partners who are interested in getting a paid space along with more visibility benefits can read the page “Become Partner“.
- Public universities and research centers can apply to the dedicated Call for Universities and Research Institutes.
Content coordination for Makers for Space
Regarding the exhibition area, The British Interplanetary Society, which will be responsible for, and coordinate the contents of the whole section, plan to retrace the history of Mars exploration up to the most recent projects, and will conceive, or collaborate towards creating individual one-of-a-kind installations.